Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Great Piece from Clara Schumann


Robert Schumann’s wife was Clara Wieck Schumann, one of the preeminent concert pianists of her day.  She was also a wonderful composer, and her pursuance of that art in a male dominated culture, where women were accepted as performers but not as composers, is a tribute to her perseverance and her great love of music 

Despite Robert’s support, the culture even caused Clara to doubt the role of women as composers (though she loved doing it).

Last night I listened to the first movement of her piano trio in G minor, and it was a wonderful experience!  The piece features a very memorable opening melody and the form is clear.  I look forward to listening to the remaining movements later tonight - and I will definitely be revisiting the first movement soon.

This is excellent music written by a brilliant musician and and a true cultural pioneer.

2 comments:

  1. Thankyou thankyou! What a beautiful piece- I am listening to the third movement. I enjoyed your Haydn roundup as well, but didn't know what to say. Better than Bieber(!), perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed it too!

    I will have the rest of the Haydn roundup soon. Then, because I enjoy this sort of thing, I am going to rank them all by movement, add up the results, and see what the new order is.

    Guess that means I have to listen through all 12 symphonies again! darn.

    ReplyDelete